Sunday, May 27, 2007

Coaxed away!

Well, so I find myself here in an oasis in the middle of the Persian Gulf. I have finished a substantial chunk of my education, and my road for the next 2 years has been charted out. I sip my morning Bournvita, and look outside the French windows, and my gaze falls on a barren piece of land. No lush greenery, no beautiful lawn to look out on. But the cool breeze of the AC brushes my hair, and the comfort of this place comes back to mind.

Sick of my lazing around and putting on weight, and doing no other useful work than surf around and chat on gtalk with friends, my parents decide to call me out to go shopping. Unwilling to go, I try to make excuses.

"I want to write my blog. There's no time, and no battery in my laptop. So I need to stay home"

"No."

"My best friend from school is coming back today. I want to catch up."

"You can speak to him after coming back. Now come and enough of this joblessness."

"Please." I beg to stay home. These will be my last holidays. I want to enjoy them at home, I think. But I don't say it aloud. I'll play that trump card elsewhere.

And relenting, I walk out in a pair of three quarters and a t-shirt. A Proline t-shirt that my mom absolutely disapproves of my wearing along with the three-quarters that we purchased at Geant and which she despises.

We get into the four-wheeled chassis, one of Toyota's wonderful creations and villa no. 27 vanishes in a puff of exhaust smoke. We cruise along the flyover, one of the few things you'd envy being in India. And barely has it been 15 minutes, we're at our destination 12 kms away.

Yet another thing I envy. Speed.

But what astounds me is the way I've swinged my emotions from being an 20.5-year old unruly kid to an admirer of philosophically and aesthetically pleasing things in life.....and the grim satisfaction I get now, not entirely unlike that of a student who fills up a page in his answer book having written nothing of substance at all.

No comments: